1. Anuncie Aqui ! Entre em contato fdantas@4each.com.br

[SQL] How to query the original and updated description of an item

Discussão em 'Outras Linguagens' iniciado por Stack, Outubro 10, 2024 às 15:12.

1. Stack

Stack Membro Participativo

Let's say I have 2 tables (Postgres if it matters):

CREATE TABLE items (
    item_id bigint BIGSERIAL,
    description character varying(2000) NOT NULL,
    date TIMESTAMP default now(),
    (many more fields)
    CONSTRAINT "item_pk" PRIMARY KEY ("item_id")
    );
    CREATE TABLE item_updates (
    update_id bigint BIGSERIAL,
    item_id_fk bigint NOT NULL,
    date TIMESTAMP default now(),
    (some fields)
    description character varying(2000) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT "item_updates_pk" PRIMARY KEY ("update_id"),
    CONSTRAINT "item_updates_item_fk" FOREIGN KEY (item_id_fk) REFERENCES items(item_id) NOT DEFERRABLE,
    ;

When I insert a new item in table items the description is set. When the description changes, an update is inserted in table item_updates that references the item_id and with that the description is changed and history preserved. I know how to find the latest description for a given item_id in table item_updates but where I stuck is the following; a query that gives me the latest description for an item.

For an item_id that has no updates in table item_updates it should show the description and (many more field) form table items For an item that has updated in table item_updates it should show the latest description from table item_updates including (some field) and the corresponding (many more field) from table items

The resulting query should contain all item_id entries (+ fields) and corresponding latest item_updates fields.

What I have now is

SELECT COALESCE(i.description) AS desc, *
    FROM items i LEFT JOIN
    (SELECT itm.item_id, MAX(upd.item_id) AS uid FROM items itm LEFT JOIN item_updates upd ON itm.item_id = upd.item_id_fk GROUP BY itm.item_id) AS sub ON sub.item_id=s.item_id;

The COALESCE is there because tried COALESCE(sub.description, i.description) but that was not allowed. The result of this query is incorrect however. The error says it can 'see' table sub in the first SELECT statement.

I see many questions and answers when all info is in the same table, but I could not find (or did not have the right search terms) this particular scenario. The answer that CoPilot gave me was also wrong.

Continue reading...

Compartilhe esta Página